EDNS in DNS clients

Stefan Puiu stefan.puiu at gmail.com
Mon May 23 14:12:04 UTC 2005

Ok, now to come back on-list:=20

On 5/23/05, Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer at nic.fr> wrote:
>=20
> No, the ccTLD nameservers. They are nine (which is a lot) and there is
> no name compression in use.
>=20
> http://www.generic-nic.net/dyn/mon/detail?tld=3D.ro_Romania
>=20
> ---- fatal ----
> f: Delegation response won't fit in a 512 byte UDP packet
>=20
>     *      For a query of 255 bytes, it won't be possible to send all
>     the nameserver (1 bytes in excess).
>=20

As it says, this is for queries of 255 bytes, which I think is quite
large. I haven't seen simple A or SRV queries (or AAAA, for that
matter) that get larger than, say, 50 bytes. I know this can change in
the future, especially with IPv6 reverse lookups, but right now, I'm
nowhere near that query size. Not that I'm arguing against thinking
ahead, I was just assessing the real gravity of this issue.