EDNS in DNS clients

Stefan Puiu stefan.puiu at gmail.com
Tue May 24 06:56:02 UTC 2005

Quoting from RFC 1035:=20
-----
2.3.4. Size limits

Various objects and parameters in the DNS have size limits.  They are
listed below.  Some could be easily changed, others are more
fundamental.

labels          63 octets or less

names           255 octets or less

TTL             positive values of a signed 32 bit number.

UDP messages    512 octets or less
---=20

Nothing about the maximum query size. Now, the DNS header is 6*16 bits
=3D 12 bytes long, plus 2 bytes for the query type and other two for the
query class, that makes 16 bytes excluding the QNAME, which itself can
be 255 bytes long (unless I'm missing something), so that would be 271
bytes, I suppose. On the other hand, notice that you need one quite
long domain name to fill or go over those 255 bytes. Definitely
possible, but not too practical.