question about resolution

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Wed May 25 04:18:07 UTC 2005

In article <d6vprv$1g7l$1 at sf1.isc.org>, "Chris" <sdqfsd at qdvqsd.cv>
wrote:

> How does the local name server passe the query to one of the DNS root
> servers? I know there is a file "cache.dns" but where come that information

It's posted on well-known FTP sites, and usually included with BIND
distributions.

> from, and, suppose the IP of one of those root servers changes, how can the
> local name server be awared of it?

When BIND starts up, one of the first things it does is send a query to
one of the servers in the root hints file, asking for the current list
of root servers.  If the address of a root server changes, they just
have to be careful not to give the old address to someone running a
bogus nameserver.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA