minimize impact of NXDOMAIN queries

Joe Shen joe_hznm at yahoo.com.sg
Fri May 27 01:29:45 UTC 2005

I take your advice and overlook the continuous
NXDOMAIN in our DNS cache server in past days. But, I
noticed an sharp increase of CPU load last night(user
CPU time increase from 3.5% to 60.48%). At the same
time, successful resolution decrease abruptly(from
90k/5min to 16k/min), the NXDOMAIN request increase
from about 3k/5min to 16.52k/5min, failed queries
increase from 1.91k/5min to 25k/5min.

The phenomon last about 2 hours which generate a step
in our monitoring graph. I take it a obvious DoS
attack.

So, is there a way to defense such type of attack?

Joe