Changing ip addresses for NS records

Mark Andrews Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Tue May 31 23:29:50 UTC 2005

> I did the same thing a few months ago. All you have to do is to notify
> the registrar of the domain that the nameservers belong to, and of
> course modify the nameserver addresses in BIND. If your nameservers
> are
>
> ns1.foobar.com
> ns2.foobar.com
> ns3.foobar.com=20
>
> all you would need to do is go to your registrars website, modify the
> IP addresses of the nameservers for foobar.com (name stays the same),
> and modify the entries in the foobar.com zone on your master.
>
> The SOA shouldn't be effected at all. The name of the box is staying
> the same, ns1.foobar.com is still ns1.foobar.com, so the SOA will be
> fine.

	When you change the zone content you change the SOA record.

	In theory this should just be changing the three host entries
	in the whois which will then propogate down as changes to the
	glue address records in the parent zone.

	None of the client domains should need to be touched assuming
	that the client domains all use the same nameserver names.  If
	however the OP has allowed his clients to use names within the
	client zones for the nameservers then he (or maybe his clients)
	will need to contact the registars for each of the client zones.

	Mark

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark_Andrews at isc.org