ignored TTLs?

Doug Barton dougb at dougbarton.us
Mon Nov 7 18:33:05 UTC 2005

aklist_bind at enigmedia.com wrote:
> Hi All:
>
> I needed to change the IP address for a domain, whose refresh had been
> previously set to 3h (10800).
>
> I set the TTL for the domain to 5m (300), and I left it there for 3 days.

So far so good.

> I then changed the IP address for the corresponding A records (they did not
> have their own TTLs separate from the main TTL), set the TTL back to 3h, and

As someone else already pointed out, it's a good idea to leave the TTL short
in the early stages of the change. Depending on your usage model, I would
wait 24 hours before moving the TTL back to 3 hours, but I'm a bit paranoid.

> reloaded Bind.
>
> The changes of course were picked up immediately by my slaves and my
> upstream NS, and I thought all was fine.

As Stephane pointed out in his message, this appears not to have been the
case, although they are both showing the same serial number now. How did you
test this?

BTW, you may be interested to know that recursion is enabled on
ns1.enigmedia.com. That is generally a bad idea for an authoritative name
server.

> Question is, what did I do wrong? What do I need to do in the future to
> prevent it from happening again?

Hopefully this question is answered now, yes?

hth,

Doug

--

	If you're never wrong, you're not trying hard enough