-x option in named

Martija, Ricardo rmartija at telcordia.com
Fri Nov 11 19:28:59 UTC 2005

The named man page indicates that there is a -x option that can be used
to load data from a file into the cache of the default view. I tried
starting named using this option but the program just exited with the
following message:

named: parsing options returned 120

I looked at the BIND 9.3.1 source code and discovered that support for
the -x option is no longer there - a much older version of BIND9 (9.0.1)
has it, though. Can anyone tell me why this feature was taken out? I am
aware, based on the man page, that the feature was intended for BIND 9
developers. So, was '-x' feature primarily for debugging purposes? I
certainly can use it for other than debugging - are there any plans of
putting back the feature in a future release?

Thanks,

Rick