dhcp ddns nubie

per engelbrecht per at xterm.dk
Fri Nov 18 18:09:50 UTC 2005

godfather55v wrote:
> pardon my greenness w/ OSS but i was always under the assumbtion bsd
> was just another flavor in the linux crowd.  Could be so kind as to
> give me in your views the big diff?
>
> thanks for you input.
> matt

Hi Matt

This is rather OT, but in short the difference on the surface is small.
The biggest difference is the engine under the hood.

Ultrashort, the BSD's (FreeBSD, OpenBSD and NetBSD) a complete systems
i.e. both kernel and userland a maintained by a single central "source".
Linux is only the kernel (also maintained by a single central "source")
while the userland are thirdparty tools wrapped around the kernel and
then called a 'distribution' like e.g. SuSE, Slackware, RedHat .... and
some 80 others.
BSD are old compared to Linux and the developers behind the BSD's tends
to work towards the "perfect" solution, while the Linux folks are more
towards "good enough". Both flavors have the same inheritance and both
flavors are fast.
I'm not going to elaborate any further on the subject, but please
remember that BSD as such has nothing to do with Linux and the other way
around.

Hope I've not stepped on someone's feet. If so, sorry.

/per
per at xterm.dk