dhcp ddns nubie

/dev/rob0 rob0 at gmx.co.uk
Fri Nov 18 18:37:25 UTC 2005

On Friday 2005-November-18 11:52, per engelbrecht wrote:
> >>If you're going the OSS (Open Source Software) way for a DDNS/DHCP
> >>solution and you're not "overly" fluent on Linux, then you'll have
> >>some basic skills to learn anyway and then I would recommend BSD.
> >
> > I don't know about this. Linux tends to be "easier" in some ways,
> > or that is what I have heard. Linux meets my needs so I have never
> > bothered to branch out into *BSD land.
> >
> >>I don't want to start a ridiculous flame-war but I've run public
> >>nameservers the last 6 years on both Linux, FreeBSD and OpenBSD
> >>(currently both FreeBSD and OpenBSD ) and the BSD's have proven
> >>themself time and again as ultra fast and rock-steady and yes, you
> >>have all the tools you need for any situation. You have the same
> >>tools with Linux, but I've always had small problems with Linux.
> >> Not big ones, just annoying small ones. Linux is work, work and
> >> work.
> >
> > This is completely subjective. Sounds to me like this poster began
> > in Linux and had problems due to lack of experience. Then he gained
> > the requisite experience in *BSD, lo and behold, things work. A
> > competent Linux admin will have no trouble with DHCP and BIND.
>
> I've used *BSD since 1995 and Linux since 1997 - and I'm not going to
> take your (rather condescending) bait, sorry.

I apologise for the tone. Wasn't trying to bait you. That is just how
you came across to me.

> I gave the best advice I could from what I've experienced.

Did you? Nothing specific in there that is "wrong" about DDNS/DHCP on
Linux. Again, it didn't come across as the kind of advice I think you
are capable of giving.

> I work in a pure *NIX environment (~220 pcs. of Linux/BSD servers)
> and I can asure you that the *BSD servers are NOT the one's that take
> my time. Is Linux bad ? .. no, but for nameservers they've not served
> me well. Do I 'dislike' Linux ? .. no, I actually like Slackware. End

I'm 100% in Slackware, at least where it was my choice what to run.
Elsewhere, 95% Slackware.

> > The one thing I will say is that the *BSD user communities tend to
> > be more clueful. In GNU/Linux you have millions and millions of
> > clueless Windows refugees, and in user forums you often see the
> > blind leading the blind. I have heard that *BSD is not as much like

(Slackware is less like that too. I know a lot of the people in the
Slackware newsgroup. I used to post there myself.)

> > Some GNU/Linux distros are less conducive to learning. They try to
> > do more for the user and thus shield the user from what is being

(Again, Slackware's a notable exception.)

> >>On top of that the BSD's (not sure about NetBSD, but they're bright
> >>guys so I expect it to be the same) has BIND "preconfigured". Most
> >>often you only need to add zones and then start the daemon and
> >
> > Preconfigured for DDNS? The distributor would have to know what
> > zones you would be serving. The best they could do is to include
> > sample named.conf and dhcpd.conf files.
>
> No, I was refering to DNS/BIND in particular. For someone "new" to
> BIND the OOS way, the benefit of having a working system easy and
> fast (to build more services on) are important.

Then that's a red herring, because most Linuxen I have seen are the
same. In Slackware you need only chmod +x the rc.bind script and/or
just run "named".

> Nice weekend to your all.

Thanks. I will basically concur with what you posted in your other
reply. I would only add a suggestion to the OP to look them both up at
Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berkeley_Software_Distribution
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Unix_history-simple.png