Mixing Authority?

kevin kevin at tower.homenet.curranfamilynet
Tue Nov 29 04:12:26 UTC 2005

When I set up my caching server using the DNS-Howto some years ago I
settled on a domain "homenet.curranfamilynet" and made my local DNS server
the authority for that zone.  Since then I've registered a domain,
curranfamilynet.net, and use ZoneEdit as the authoritative nameserver for
the zone.

So, for example, fluffy is the multihomed computer facing the LAN and the
net and, per dig for the LAN fluffy:

;; QUERY SECTION:
;;      fluffy.homenet.curranfamilynet, type = A, class = IN

;; ANSWER SECTION:
fluffy.homenet.curranfamilynet.  1D IN A  192.168.1.1

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
homenet.curranfamilynet.  1D IN NS  fluffy.homenet.curranfamilynet.

And per dig for the WAN fluffy:

;; QUERY SECTION:
;;      fluffy.curranfamilynet.net, type = A, class = IN

;; ANSWER SECTION:
fluffy.curranfamilynet.net.  5M IN A  66.67.206.125

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
curranfamilynet.net.    2H IN NS        ns18.zoneedit.com.
curranfamilynet.net.    2H IN NS        ns19.zoneedit.com.

The hosts on my LAN go by the name xxx.homenet.curranfamilynet but
I want to change them to xxx.curranfamilynet.net and still be able to type
"ssh fluffy" and have fluffy resolve to 192.168.1.x because the SSH port
is blocked on the WAN interface.

Is it safe to set up a local authoritative zone for curranfamilynet.net
for my LAN hosts and have an outside, official authoritative zone hosted
by ZoneEdit for everyone else? I cannot put routeable IP addresses on the
LAN hosts.

TIA & I hope this is enough info.
Kevin