rndc reconfig causing long timeouts

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Sat Oct 1 01:20:25 UTC 2005

Tavis Gustafson wrote:

>Hello. We are using bind 9.2.3 on linux kernel 2.4.24 .
>Our main zone file is 16MB.  We are experiencing 30 second lookup
>timeouts every time we execute an rndc reconfig.  We do this only when
>updating new or removed zones (sometimes doing it every few minutes).
>Is this beahaviour on par with others' like installations? And is there
>another way to tell bind about new zones besides the reconfig?
>When running rndc reconfig, named uses 35% of our system's main memory.
>During the timeouts named pegs the processor at 99% while disk activity
>remains relatively calm.

My understanding is that rndc reconfig *only* looks at and (re-)parses
the named.conf file, so the size of your zone file is irrelevant, and it
would explain why you're not seeing any significant disk I/O. More
important than the size of a zone or all zones would be _how_many_ zones
you have, and perhaps how complex those zones are (e.g. lots of
zone-level access restrictions, etc.). If you're doing reconfigs every
few minutes sometimes, I would expect that you have a *lot* of zones.
Maybe you should split those among multiple machines.