rndc reconfig causing long timeouts

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Sat Oct 1 05:53:54 UTC 2005

At 11:19 PM -0400 2005-09-30, Dave Clark wrote:

>  I would be interested in learning if the BIND developers are making any
>  plans towards a version of BIND that asyncronously replies to queries while
>  reconfiging/reloading.

	BIND-9 already does this, if you're running a binary with
threading enabled.  Earlier versions of BIND-9 would enable threading
by default during the build process, but this caused problems on too
many platforms so they disabled it.  But if you're on a platform
where threading will work properly, feel free to rebuild it with
threading enabled.

>                         I don't personally have this problem, but I do know
>  of another person who does.  As far as I was able to learn, attempts to use
>  multithreading was not a solution even when using multiple CPUs.  Correct me
>  if I am wrong.

	Threading can be of benefit, even if you're on a single CPU system.

>  It would be ideal if there was some way to use rndc to have BIND add or
>  remove a single zone, but I have not thought of a practical implementation
>  for this, so I have not made a formal feature suggestion.

	Yeah, that's a much tougher problem.  It's hard enough just to
get it to reload a given zone, or to do a "reconfig", or whatever.
Trying to use rndc to actually distribute the configuration changes
is going to be quite a challenge.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755