rndc reconfig causing long timeouts

Dave Clark bind-users at dollardns.net
Mon Oct 3 22:32:47 UTC 2005

Ya know, I think I've thought of something.  Perhaps a rndc command may be
given to read a specific named configuration file.  This will be an
effective reconfig for the zones listed in that file, which may change the
zone parameters for a zone and add new zones.  For example, you could do
this:

rndc reload [configpath [class [view]]] (load config and zone files)
rndc reconfig [configpath [class [view]]] (load config and new zone files)

It will be the script's responsibility to include that file into the main
named.conf so that the configuration is persistent despite a server restart.
The old semantics for reload/reconfig without a pathname would remain the
same.  On the contrary, the reload/reconfig against a pathname will never
result in removing zones.  The commands would make it possible to add/reload
multiple zones at a time without having to process the entire config.  The
zones will fall within the context of an optional 'view'.  'view' is only
required if the master config uses views and the view statement isn't
included in the subsidiary config.  Of course, we'll also need a command for
removing zones:

rndc delete zone [class [view]]

---

This is probably the best implementation with regard to making it as easy as
possible on the programmers.  After all, zones are already interactively
added and removed from reading the master config.  It would probably be
little different doing this on an included config file.  All you have to do
is not remove zones that don't exist in that config.  Then you make a few
changes to the rndc transport protocol to accommodate the new arguments and
command.  The only place where it might get tricky is detecting whether
views is required or disallowed.

Do you BIND users think this would be convenient for you?
Do you BIND programmers think this would be difficult to incorporate into
existing code?

Dave