sub-domain delegation issue

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Wed Oct 5 20:03:35 UTC 2005

In article <di11ik$1oru$1 at sf1.isc.org>, Joel CARNAT <joel at carnat.net>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a Bind (9.2.2) acting as master (10.0.1.7) for company.com.
> I have a Bind (9.2.2) acting as master (10.0.2.7) for away.company.com.
>
> I want the #1 to forward all its query for away.company.com. to #2.
> I don't want #1 to be slave for away.company.com.
>
> #1 just don't forward queries to #2 and answers NXDOMAIN.
> I can manually get the answer from #2 when using
> "dig -t mx @10.0.2.7 away.company.com".

A server will never forward queries anywhere unless the client asks for
recursion.  Your local clients will do this if they use 10.0.1.7 as
their resolver, but other server that try to use it as an authoritative
server for your domain will send non-recursive queries.

> Here's what I tried :
>
> - 1 - edit company.com zone file :
>
> $ORIGIN .
> company.com.	SOA ...
> away.company.com.	IN NS	10.0.2.7

NS records have to point to host *names*, not IPs.  So that should be
something like:

away.company.com. IN NS ns.away.company.com.
ns.away.company.com. IN A 10.0.2.7

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA