Tweaking the DNS Server

Andy Pieters x_terminat_or_3 at yahoo.fr
Sat Oct 8 09:43:34 UTC 2005

Hi
Since our provider suffers from frequent DNS server errors that sometimes last
more then 12hrs, we have purchased a low budget Dell Celeron computer,
installed Fedora Core 3 on it and BIND 9, and made the whole setup to skip
the providers dns altgother.

The resolv.conf for all machines in our LAN (including the DNS server) are now

nameserver 192.168.0.99

This setup has been working for four months now without a single error.

There is one annoyance however that when browsing, users are complaining that
sites they visited 10minutes ago still take a few seconds to resolve the
address.

Is there a setting I can use to control how long the server keeps queries in
its cache?

With kind regards

Andy

--
Registered Linux User Number 379093
Now listening to Radio Stream

   amaroK::the Coolest Media Player in the known Universe!

   Cockroaches and socialites are the only things that can
   stay up all night and eat anything.
					    Herb Caen
--
--
Check out these few php utilities that I released

 http://www.vlaamse-kern.com/sas/