Tweaking the DNS Server

/dev/rob0 rob0 at gmx.co.uk
Sat Oct 8 10:14:18 UTC 2005

On Saturday 2005-October-08 04:43, Andy Pieters wrote:
> The resolv.conf for all machines in our LAN (including the DNS
> server) are now
>
> nameserver 192.168.0.99

I'd use 127.0.0.1 on the nameserver machine, but that's minor.

> This setup has been working for four months now without a single
> error.

Congratulations.

> There is one annoyance however that when browsing, users are
> complaining that sites they visited 10minutes ago still take a few
> seconds to resolve the address.

Are you sure it's DNS delays? Test and see. It might just be users'
unrealistic expectations. Even so you might help them a bit by using a
Web proxy. Your Celeron should be more than capable of the job.
    or "not-spam" is in Subject: header