Changing SOA & DNS server for an Active Directory DDNS zone

Andy Blanchard andyb at giganews.com
Mon Oct 10 23:34:07 UTC 2005

On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 16:51:25 -0400, Kevin Darcy
<kcd at daimlerchrysler.com> wrote:

>If you want to minimize the number/possibility of missed Dynamic Updates
>during the transition, lower the TTL value on the SOA record and/or
>force propagation of the SOA record change to all of the slaves and/or
>set up the old master to forward Dynamic Updates to the new master.

I'd normally do that with major DNS updates, but in this case the TTL
is pretty low to accomodate fail-over DHCP, IP allocation is decidedly
un-dynamic and the change is to be out of hours.

>AFAIK, the Domain Controllers determine the identify of the master from
>SOA.MNAME and nothing else.

That's what my copy of "DNS & BIND" implies, but this is Microsoft we
are talking about and I'm very much a *NIX guy that *really* does not
to blow away the AD domain...

>Make sure, of course, that the Domain Controllers have Dynamic Update
>capability to the new master. If firewalls or Intrusion Detection
>devices are involved, for instance, then their rules may need to be updated.

No firewalls or similar that would make a difference.

All in all, sounds like I'm good to go.  Thanks for the reassurance I
hadn't missed anything.

Andy