Delegation (to Active Directory DNS) woes

Joost De Cock Joost.DeCock at astrid.be
Tue Oct 11 12:43:53 UTC 2005

I'm setting up a hybrid DNS in which all ip to name resolving is done in BIND
on linux, and the specific Active Directory stuff is delegated to our domain
controllers. What I'm trying to do is a simple delegation of the microsoft
specific subdomains (for example _tcp) to another machine.

I've got a BIND server (linda) who's auth. for:
company.be
site1.company.be
site2.company.be

I want to delegate _tcp.company.be to another server (willow) who is in the
comapny.be namespace.

Here's part of the zone file on linda for the company.be zone:

$TTL 3D
@                       IN              SOA             linda.company.be.
hostmaster.company.be. (
                        1126260125      ;
                        8H              ;
                        1H              ;
                        4W              ;
                        1D )            ;
;
        NS      linda.company.be.  ;
	MX      10 mx.company.be.        ;
;
localhost		A               127.0.0.1
;
willow               A               10.10.1.220
linda                A               10.10.1.221
hostmaster     CNAME           linda
frank                A               10.10.1.24
_tcp.company.be                  NS              willow.company.be.

This doesn't work. I've added the following in the named.conf file since that
was suggested in some earlier posts about delegation.:

zone "company.be" {
        type master;
        notify no;
        file "db.company";
        forwarders { /* empty */ };
};
zone "_tcp.company.be" {
type forward;
forwarders { 10.1001.220; };
};

But when if do `dig -t ns _tcp.company.be` it doesn't find an answer and the
delegation is not working.
I just can't see why it doesn't. Maybe someone else does?

Kind regards,

Joost