Dynamic Updates : filter hostnames

kriskaido at gmail.com kriskaido at gmail.com
Thu Oct 13 07:58:28 UTC 2005

Hi Gregory, thanks for your reply.
The problem here is that I can't control the process in which the
updates are done. All I have is control on my BIND installation.

I think you didn't understood me well. I was not talking about
duplicate IP addresses, and I can confirm there's no duplicate IP
address in my context here, all I said was when you have a PC which
boots and receives an IP address dynamically through DHCP, this address
may have been registered by another PC (which is of course down now,
otherwise the lease wouldn't be free) 2 days ago, so the IP is free,
BUT the name of that 2-days-old PC is still in the DNS ! That's my
problem, I'd like to force the update of the single name there is for
each IP, as I'm sure that if that PC wants to update the DNS for that
IP, it means that the current entry in the zone file is deprecated and
can be replaced by the new one (which may be the same, why not ...)

In short, I know it's legal to have aliases in DNS, but is it possible
to change that behaviour and control what and how the updates are done
in this or that zone ?

Kris.