Caching DNS (BIND 9.2.3) Not Resolving a Particular Host.

Deepak Saun deepaksaun at bsnl.in
Fri Oct 14 18:35:05 UTC 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stephane Bortzmeyer" <bortzmeyer at nic.fr>
To: "Deepak Saun" <deepaksaun at bsnl.in>
Cc: <bind-users at isc.org>
Sent: Thursday, October 13, 2005 5:19 AM
Subject: Re: Caching DNS (BIND 9.2.3) Not Resolving a Particular Host.
>> (www.kashyapenterprises.com),
>
> The domain kashyapenterprises.com seems mostly OK, although all its
> name servers are very probably in the same room, so, may be, you
> simply saw a network glitch.

No sir, problem is with my own DNS, I know, for all other DNS in my network
are resolving fine as well as www.dnsstuff.com at the same time.

>>          I tried dig +trace, but it stops right after showing
>>          root-server list.
>
> Tou mean the ".com" servers list? If ".com" were broken, I believe we
> would know it :-)
>
> Could you post the actual output of dig? I hate guessing.

Here it is:

[dn-deepak at tacacs dn-deepak]$ dig @218.248.255.193
www.kashyapenterprises.com

; <<>> DiG 9.3.1 <<>> @218.248.255.193 www.kashyapenterprises.com
; (1 server found)
;; global options:  printcmd
[dn-deepak at tacacs dn-deepak]$

Here it works for all other domains/hosts.

[dn-deepak at tacacs dn-deepak]$ dig @218.248.255.193
www.kashyapenterprises.com +trace

; <<>> DiG 9.3.1 <<>> @218.248.255.193 www.kashyapenterprises.com +trace
; (1 server found)
;; global options:  printcmd
.                       518311  IN      NS      F.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.
.                       518311  IN      NS      G.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.
.                       518311  IN      NS      H.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.
.                       518311  IN      NS      I.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.
.                       518311  IN      NS      J.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.
.                       518311  IN      NS      K.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.
.                       518311  IN      NS      L.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.
.                       518311  IN      NS      M.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.
.                       518311  IN      NS      A.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.
.                       518311  IN      NS      B.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.
.                       518311  IN      NS      C.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.
.                       518311  IN      NS      D.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.
.                       518311  IN      NS      E.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.
;; Received 244 bytes from 218.248.255.193#53(218.248.255.193) in 91 ms

[dn-deepak at tacacs dn-deepak]$

This is it's default behaviour for all domains/hosts, even for those it is
resolving correctly.

Thanks & Regards:
Deepak Saun
JTO (Tech)
Data Networks, BSNL
Telephone Exchange Building, 2nd Floor
Sec-62, Noida (U.P.)-201301
INDIA
+91-120-2404243 (O)
+91-120-2516011 (R)
+91-9868433119 (M)

This Message and any attachments (the "message") is intended solely
for the addressees and is confidential. If you receive this message
in error, please delete it and immediately notify the sender. Any
use not in accord with its Purpose, any dissemination or disclosure,
either whole or partial, is Prohibited except formal approval.
The internet cannot guarantee the integrity of this message. BSNL
shall (will) not therefore be liable for the message if modified.