DNS implementation in a pure UNIX environment?

Stefan Puiu stefan.puiu at gmail.com
Mon Oct 17 08:17:08 UTC 2005

Well, I think most people did this transition a long time ago, so asking
google might be your best bet.
However, I think you can achieve this with some simple research of the
Solaris resolver configuration - last time I checked, I think it had
/etc/nsswitch.conf, which specifies the order in which the hosts file, nis
and dns are queried when doing dns lookups (and other things - read the man
page).

On my Linux machine I have "hosts: files dns" in nsswitch.conf, and that I
think makes sense for you. I checked a Solaris 8 here, it has "hosts: files
dns nis" - this makes sense if you have a NIS server. Try converting your
machines one by one to this setup, adding the nameserver you'd use in
/etc/resolv.conf, taking the machines one by one. That assumes you know how
to configure your nameserver, though.