catch all name server for parked domains

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Mon Oct 17 19:18:34 UTC 2005

In article <dj0mgg$2n2d$1 at sf1.isc.org>, "elie" <mazzawi at gmail.com>
wrote:

> okay i know how to make a generic zone file.
>
> can you tell me what to put in named.conf do i need to list all the
> domains and point then to the file?

Yes.

> because i don't want to do that, i would have to keep adding the newly
> registered domains to it, is there a way to make named.conf use the
> generic zone file for all zones?

No.  Like I said in my earlier message, you could make your server a
root server, and put a wildcard in it that resolves to your web server
IP.  But this is a bad idea on a public DNS server.

> otherwise i was thinking to make bind log domains it doesn't know about
> the write a script to update named.conf and reload named.

Don't your customers have to let you know when they're parking a domain
on your server?  When they do this, can't you just run a script to add
the domain to your named.conf?

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA