resolving differently depending on location?

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Mon Oct 17 23:13:17 UTC 2005

In article <dj17cv$2hks$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
 Kevin Darcy <kcd at daimlerchrysler.com> wrote:

> BIND *does* however, have support for "sortlist". One can have the name
> resolve to all of the location-specific IPs, and then sort them
> according to the source IP of the DNS client. This only works
> *reliably*, however, when the sortlist configuration of all resolvers is
> tightly controlled.

Right, so it's useless for a public web site.

> Note that the sortlist approach also assumes that the DNS client address
> is also the same as, or close to, the client for whatever service one is
> trying to provide (HTTP, SMTP, whatever). Due to proxying and numerous
> other factors, this isn't always a good assumption. But Akamai and
> others seem to do fairly well making exactly the same assumption, so YMMV...

If you're just trying to select a server on the same continent or ISP
backbone as the client, the assumption will be pretty good.  Also, many
ISPs make use of anycast for their resolvers, so the resolver will be
relatively close to the client on the backbone; therefore, choosing a
server close to the resolver should be OK.

While there may be occasional cases where it doesn't choose the optimal
server, on average it seems like it can be expected to be better than
random choice.  But having the server do it at the application level
should generally be even better.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA