dig -n -x some:addr +trace issue

gnu not unix gnu at wraith.sf.ca.us
Wed Oct 19 18:19:02 UTC 2005

If I am on the nameserver where my ip6.int zone is served,
a dig is returning:

/usr/local/bin/dig: Too many lookups

This happens on a linux 2.4.x nameserver, and a freebsd 4.7 nameserver.

The trace works fine up to the point where it hits the two
local nameservers I have that are authoritative for the zone,
then loops repeatedly until dig stops with the above message.

If I try the same query on my ipv6 enabled web server
(that does not have a name server authoritative for the
zone in question running on it),
then the query/trace works as expected.

Here's the query I was using:

/usr/local/bin/dig -n -x 2001:470:1f00:974::1 +trace

Running this query on the nameservers without the +trace
will return SERVFAIL, but it works fine on the web server,
which is not running a nameserver.

My zones are setup for ip6.int. Looks like my problem is
related to the query being for ...ip6.arpa.

I have a tunnel allocation via Hurricane Electric. I guess
I am at their mercy with regards to int/arpa and my reverse
zones?

The ipv6tools.com web site also sees the problem with my
zones.

I guess I should abandon ip6.int and move to ip6.arpa. This might
be problematic with older hosts and their libc/resolver.

Reporting from the trenches...

../Steven