global server load balancing / limit number of response records

Timo Proescholdt proescho-bind at cip.informatik.uni-muenchen.de
Thu Oct 20 19:44:58 UTC 2005

Hi Folks,

I wonder wether the following is possible to configure in bind9.

Is it possible to limit the number of A / AAAA records returned to a query
for an address that has multiple A / AAAA records configured.
Standart behavior is that the records are shuffled
(according to ordering the scheme ), and returned altogether .
What I want now is that the shuffling takes place, but all but the very first
record are 'cut off' so that the aperance of an address with just one A record
is created. (which changes according to the shuffling scheme).

AFAIK this is sometimes referred to as 'global server load balancing'.

I am very aware of the consequences (caching, uncontrollable client library
behavior etc). I can afford these brawbacks since the environment is pretty
local with no other servers inbetween.

thanks
Timo