how to create a default ip ?

Frank Gadegast frank at powerweb.de
Sun Oct 23 12:02:44 UTC 2005

Dipl-Inform. Frank Gadegast wrote:

>>I like to have bind returning a default IP, when a record isnt found.
>>This has to work for any domain not only for our zones.
>>
>>This way I like to direct our intranet users to a internal
>>help-system,
>>when they mistype an URL in their browser.
>>
>>Any way to set this behaviour directly via binds config files ?
>>I also looked in the source, but Im a bit confused there, any hint
>>where to start ?
>>
>There's no way to do this via DNS without "cloaking" the Internet DNS
>from your clients. This is because wildcards are zone-specific, and you
>can't hope to maintain a "fake" version of very zone in the Internet
>DNS with your special wildcard in it.
>
>Look into doing this via a web proxy.

Hm, just to understand the basics.

If a client asks a name server (let say bind ;o), the name server will
try to answer even if hes not responsible for that zone, bind will
ask the root-servers, find the right name servers for that domain,
ask those name servers and return there answer, right ?
And it will deliver a somehow crafted answer, if it fails, right ?

If I knew where to start in the bind source code I could replace this
"does not exist" or "timeout" answer with my default IP, could I not ?

Any help is still welcome.

Kind regards, Frank