Vulnerable DNS servers, RFC

Thomas Schulz schulz at adi.com
Tue Oct 25 16:04:19 UTC 2005

In article <djkuf5$bl$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
Brad Knowles  <brad at stop.mail-abuse.org> wrote:
>At 11:05 AM +0200 2005-10-25, Florian Weimer wrote:
>
>>>  		1.  If you split the authoritative and recursive
>>>  		functions onto separate machines, then you can make
>>>  		the necessary network security settings so that
>>>  		incoming packets that are not a reply to a recent
>>>  		outgoing packet will be prevented from getting to the
>>>  		recursive server.
>>
>>  This is also possible if recursive and authoritative service runs on
>>  different IP addresses, but are served by the same named process.
>
>	They can't be served by the same process.  Each named process is
>going to listen to one or more IP addresses (according to your
>configuration), and is going to either act as a recursive-only
>server, an authoritative-only server, or as a combined
>recursive/authoritative server, according to the configuration.

Can't you do this with views?  Could you make one view authoritative-only
and another view recursive?  I know that you can give out different
authoritative data from different views and I thought that I had read
somewhere that views could also differ in whether recursion was allowed
or not.

--
Tom Schulz
schulz at adi.com