Glue records and unable to resolve

Mark Andrews Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Fri Sep 2 23:47:34 UTC 2005

> On Fri, 2 Sep 2005 10:49:55 -0500, "Simon Dodd"
> <simon.dodd at JOINKLLC.COM> wrote:
>
> >[hostmaster at linux1 master]$ dig ZEE.MASTERMINDPRO.COM +short
> >
> >[hostmaster at linux1 master]$ dig DOUBLEU.MASTERMINDPRO.COM +short
> >
> >[hostmaster at linux1 master]$ dig EWE.MASTERMINDPRO.COM +short
> >
> >[hostmaster at linux1 master]$ dig EX.MASTERMINDPRO.COM +short
> >
> >[hostmaster at linux1 master]$ dig WHY.MASTERMINDPRO.COM +short
> >

> >This is obviously a pretty silly way to have your DNS set up, but to my
> >understanding of glue records, it shouldn't be a problem - because
> >surely, when you run a query, the parent zone should return the IP
> >addresses of the auth name servers (which do respond) not the names? By
> >reduction alone, this is all I'm left with though:
>
> Their own nameservers don't respond authoritatively for themselves as
> example:
>
> ~$ dig zee.mastermindpro.com @207.115.82.2
>
> ;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
> mastermindpro.com.      1200    IN      SOA     ns1.mastermindpro.com.
> tyc.mastermindpro.com. 6007 3600 600 1209600 1200
>
> If the nameserver itself states authoritatively that it doesn't exist,
> well, logically...
>
> Believe it depends on your configuration as to whether to trust glue,
> but I can't say for sure off the top of my head.

Just about all nameservers shouldn't trust the glue for fenwaygroup.net,
as the nameservers are all under COM.  Named then queries for the
AAAA records for the nameservers and gets told by the servers for
mastermindpro.com that they don't exist.  Game over.

For nameservers that are not IPv6 aware they query for the A records,
which the COM servers lie about, so they succeed.

The fix is to get the address records for doubleu.mastermindpro.com,
ewe.mastermindpro.com, ex.mastermindpro.com, why.mastermindpro.com,
and zee.mastermindpro.com added to the mastermindpro.com zone.

Mark

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark_Andrews at isc.org