dig and the searchlist

Uwe Gansert ug at suse.de
Tue Sep 6 09:14:22 UTC 2005

On Monday 05 September 2005 22:00, Barry Margolin wrote:

> > > dig +search www.taylor
> >
> > then with tcpdump I can see:
> > > 36052+ A? www.taylor. (28)
> > > 36052 NXDomain 0/1/0 (103)
> >
> > the answer is NXDOMAIN and the search list is not used anymore. Dig
> > does no=3D t=3D20
> > try "www.taylor.suse.de" what I would expect because of the "+search".
> > Can someone explain me why this is the case?
>
> The searchlist is only used if the name has fewer than ndots dots.  Try:
>
> dig +search +ndots=3D2 www.taylor

thanks for the reply.
If I add the ndots option to the resolv.conf, then it works
but if I provide it as command line parameter like you suggested,
it does not work here. It just queries "www.taylor." and ignores
the +ndots=3D2
It's dig version 9.3.1
Do you have an idea what could be wrong?

=2D-=20
ciao, Uwe Gansert

Uwe Gansert, Server Technologies Team
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, Maxfeldstrasse 5, D-90409 N=C3=BCrnberg, Germany
e-mail: uwe.gansert at suse.de, Tel: +49-(0)911-74053-0,
=46ax: +49-(0)911-74053-476, Web: http://www.suse.de     =20