dig and the searchlist

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Tue Sep 6 15:03:36 UTC 2005

At 4:38 PM +0200 2005-09-06, Uwe Gansert wrote:

>>  	From that point on, the response is pretty predictable.  I don't
>>  know what's going on.  I don't know if this is a bug or a "feature".
>
>  so we are two :) But since dig behaves different than documented, I would
>  assume that as a bug and not as a feature. I hope someone can clear that
>  up.
>
>  I think nslookup has the same problem. So maybe it's in the resolver library
>  they both use.

	It might be useful to try running dig under a debugger (gdb or
whatever), and maybe setting some trace points on any lines of source
code that check or modify the ndots parameter.  But I'm not a
programmer, and that's a bit beyond my ability to do -- at least,
beyond my ability to do quickly.

	If you give this a try, please let us know how things turn out.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755