domain comparison script

Maria Iano maria at iano.org
Tue Sep 6 22:11:16 UTC 2005

I'm being lazy. Has anyone already written a script to do this?:

1) take two name servers and a domain name
2) perform a zone transfer for the domain, and any subdomains, against the first name server
3) look up every record obtained during 2) against the second name server
4) report what's missing/different
preferably with an opion to either pay attention to or ignore TTLs.

This would be to make sure nothing got missed when migrating a domain from one server to another when the current hosting provider prefers to let you do transfers but not send you the file. Also for testing during upgrades of dns management code. So far I've written little bits and pieces of scripts to do this as one-offs. I'm hoping that I can save time because someone has already written this, and then there's a good chance they'll have thought of things I would have missed...

Thanks,
Maria