How to delegate public IP zone internally

Greg Chavez greg.chavez at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 12:55:15 UTC 2005

On 9/6/05, Charles Cala <charles_cala at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > So, again, my question - my embarrassing but urgent question: is
> > there
> > a way to delegate 1x6.156.in-addr.arpa without involving ARIN or
> > claiming authority for 156.in-addr.arpa?
>=20
> if you have a "split" where a portion of the 0-255 block is
> taken up by you, and them, just put some NS
> entrys for you and them.
>=20
> 127    IN     NS     my.server.co.com
> 126    IN     NS     that.server.co.com

Ah, of course.  I see.  But the rogue unit's name servers are claiming
authority for the entire 1x6.156.in-addr.arpa domain.  So (as you
allude to next) I would also have to configure my server as master for
this zone and then create NS records (two per) for all 254 subdomains.
I suppose also that I could make this easy with a $generate statment.

Still nasty.  And likely to confuse my succesor(s).

> and then let HIS boss and yours know that you
> fixed this twerps screwup, having your server
> be able to do zone transfers is a good thing,
> and if they guy wants to have you pick up
> data faster than the refresh rate ,
> they can use "notify".

I am glad that you brought up the policy aspect of this.  There is no
good reason for this admin to deny his DNS parent zone transfer
rights.  I was hoping that by addressing this problem to this
newsgroup that any "good reason" would come to light.  Neither you nor
Mark Andrews seem think there is one, which I appreciate.

But it's still nice to learn a new kludge.

--Greg Chavez