DNS design question

Suzuki Alex Alex.Suzuki at ksta.ktzh.ch
Fri Sep 9 07:33:44 UTC 2005

Hello list,

Is it possible to serve requests for a zone "foo.domain.com", and if
the request fails (e.g. bar.foo.domain.com is not found), to delegate
this request to another server, which is also authorative for
"foo.domain.com"? This second server is managed by someone else (a
parent organization), and we have no access to it.

The problem is that some stupid naming policy here dictates that all
our hosts should be named "$hostname.foo.domain.com", and not
"$hostname.ourorganization.foo.domain.com". I realize that in the
latter case all would be well and the DNS server for "foo.domain.com"
would leave ourorganization.foo.domain.com to be managed by us.
However, that is unfortunately not the case (politics and all that...)

So what I'm looking for is basically this: Host srv1 is managed by us,
and unknown to the parent organization.

Now when a request for srv1.foo.domain.com arrives at our server, we
would like to first check locally on our server. Then if we cannot
find this host (there are hosts in the parent organization that we do
not know of), we would like to forward the request to the parent
organization's DNS server.

I hope I've made more or less clear what I'm trying to do. :-)

Regards,
  A. S.