DNS delegation based on both location and organization

martinez_ja5 at tsm.es martinez_ja5 at tsm.es
Mon Sep 12 07:48:05 UTC 2005

Actually I cannot allow even a single resolution miss (up to 1-2 second=
s of
added delay before retrying the second server on the list is too much f=
or a
service network). Load balancing would just be used to make sure a runn=
ing
DNS is used as a first option.

                                                                       =
                                                               =20
                                                                       =
                                                               =20
                             Danny Mayer                  Para:      Br=
ad Knowles <brad at stop.mail-abuse.org>                          =20
                             <mayer at gis.net>                 cc:     ma=
rtinez_ja5 at tsm.es, bind-users at isc.org                          =20
                                                         Asunto:     Re=
: DNS delegation based on both location and organization       =20
                                                                       =
                                                               =20
                                                                       =
                                                               =20
                                                                       =
                                                               =20
                             09/09/2005 06:30                          =
                                                               =20
                             Por favor, responda a                     =
                                                               =20
                             mayer                                     =
                                                               =20
                                                                       =
                                                               =20
                                                                       =
                                                               =20

                                                                       =
   =20
                Telef=F3nica M=F3viles Espa=F1a, S.A.                  =
         =20
                                                                       =
   =20

Brad Knowles wrote:

>> - I need local resolution and redundancy (I even need load balancers=

>>      for the quickest response time and highest availability)

You don't really need load balancers for DNS since the architecture of
DNS is by its nature distributed. Load Balancers for DNS are a waste of=

money and effort.

>            But keep in mind that you don't want to list too many
> authoritative servers (typically no more than four or five), because
> you don't want to cause the responses you hand out to exceed the
> 512-byte limitation of typical DNS responses via the UDP protocol.
> Trust me, you do *not* want to know what kind of weirdness tends to
> manifest itself when you start causing truncation, which results in
> DNS queries having to be re-tried with TCP, etc....

On this one I do trust you! It was not what you did but what was done t=
  the DNS Servers that caused the problems.

Danny

=