newbie needs help re: SBC - DNS record

Japhy japhyrider2005 at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 10 00:19:06 UTC 2005

Hello,
I am setting up a network for a friend of mine who is starting a small
business.  They have a dsl line installed by SBC, and received 5 public
IP addresses.
They have registered a domain name with network solutions and want to
host the web server themselves behind firewall I am setting up.
I am trying to get SBC to set up a DNS record pointing their domain
name to 1 of these IP addresses, but everyone at SBC acts like I am
speaking Greek.  *****Isn't this a service that an ISP, like SBC, would
provide? *****  I think I just must be talking to the wrong people, but
I've spoken to 5 and am getting nowhere.  I am simply asking them if
they can set up a DNS record (PTR?) to point the domain name to the IP.
 Obviously, I'm no DNS expert, and I don't want to set up a DNS server
to broadcast.  What terminology do I need to use with these people?  Or
am I wrong in assuming they would do it, if my client is hosting their
own server?  What are my options, then, other than setting up my own
DNS server?
thanks