Default domain question

Greg Chavez greg.chavez at gmail.com
Mon Sep 19 17:49:23 UTC 2005

On 9/19/05, Church, Simon <schurch at lifemasters.com> wrote:
> Hello,
> I am a relative newbie to bind and had a question about added a record
> for default domain. For example, we have an alias for
> www.lifemasters.com, but we do not have anything for just
> "lifemasters.com". What do we need to do to add in a record for this?

In your "lifemasters.com" zone file you could have this:

@=09IN=09CNAME=09python_vip.lifemasters.com.
www=09IN=09CNAME=09python_vip.lifemasters.com.
python_vip=09IN=09A=0963.146.114.77

Where "@" is the same as your domain origin "lifemasters.com".

At the risk of making this thread much longer than it needs to be, I
would consider replacing that underscore with a dash.  You can get
away with it most of the time, but it can break some mail applications
and afaik it is not allowed (if not forbidden exactly) in RFC.  There
is much blather on this topic in the bind-users archives.

--Greg Chavez