root hint for subdomain how to.

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Sep 20 20:57:26 UTC 2005

Truong Tan Son wrote:

>Dear Sir,
>
>I install Bind9.2 on RedHat Linux, I create one main DNS server, and one subdomain server.
>
>On main server "domain.com"
>#/etc/named.conf
>options {
>        directory "/usr/local/named/etc";
>          };
>
>controls {
>        inet 127.0.0.1 allow { localhost; } keys { rndckey; };
>        };
>
>zone "." IN {
>        type hint;
>        file "named.ca";
>};
>zone "domain.com" IN {
>        type master;
>        file "domain.com.db";
>};
>
>#/etc/named/domain.com
>@ IN SOA root1.domain.com. admin.domain.com. (
>1;
>10800;
>3600;
>604800;
>86400 );
>                                              IN NS   root1.domain.com.
>root1                                      IN A 172.16.20.11
>
>info.domain.com.                    IN NS server1.info.domain.com.
>sercer1.info.domain.com.        IN A 172.16.134.10
>

>On subdomain server "info.domain.com", I defined:
>#/etc/named.conf
>zone ".domain.com." IN {
>        type hint;
>        file "named.ca";
>};
>
>#/var/named/named.ca
>.domain.com.              NS      root1.domain.com.
>root1.domain.com.        A        172.16.20.11
>
>Does HINT for subdomain correct ?
>
>Please help me to solve this trouble

No, hints are only used for the root zone. If you can't get domain.com
slaved from the closest-enclosing parent zone (i.e. either root or
.com), then, for each relevant nameserver, to get the zone resolvable
you'll need to make the nameserver explicitly master, slave, or stub for
the zone, or configure it with some form of forwarding (either the
domain-specific variety or the "global" variety). Note that if you're
already configured to use global forwarding, and you decide to go with
master, slave or stub zone definitions, you may need to specify
"forwarders { };" in the zone definition to "cancel" forwarding,
otherwise subzones of domain.com might get unexpectedly forwarded; even
if there are no subzones of domain.com currently, it might be prudent to
cancel forwarding now, in order to avoid nasty surprises later.