Questions about new Bind installation

per engelbrecht per at xterm.dk
Wed Sep 21 15:11:57 UTC 2005

Lisa Casey wrote:
> Hi Brad,
>
> "Brad Knowles" <brad at stop.mail-abuse.org> wrote in message
> news:dgrpvt$ni5$1 at sf1.isc.org...
>
>>At 9:30 AM -0400 2005-09-21, Lisa Casey wrote:
>>

>>> I recently set up a FreeBSD 5.3 box and installed Bind 8.4 from ports.
>>
>>FreeBSD 5.x comes with BIND-9 out-of-the-box, set to run in a
>>secure chroot environment.  Why would you want to run anything else?
>>In particular, why would you want to rip out a BIND-9 installation
>>and go backwards to BIND-8 instead?
>>

> I was unaware that when I installed FreeBSD 5.3 Bind would  automatically be
> installed. I figured if I wanted to run Bind I'ld need to install it, just
> as I did for Apache on this box (this box is replacing a DNS/Web server
> which had been running for a long time on FreeBSD 3.2).  I don't really see
> why just installing the FreeBSD OS would automatically install a DNS server,
> every unix box box doesn't necessarily need to run DNS, my mail server
> doesn't, it relies on my DNS servers but I suppose this is beside the point.

With OpenBSD you have the same setup - it's there, you just need to
activate it with whatever flags you desire. Nice, easy and like any
other BSD related features; rocksteady and fast.

BTW running a (maybe just caching) nameserver on your MTA does not hurt
- it will keep your MTA on the road even if it should loose connection
to it's nameservers.

/per
per at xterm.dk