Bind9 vs. Bind8 latency

Jeff Wark jwark at tbaytel.net
Wed Sep 21 19:11:47 UTC 2005

I have recently been switching our name servers over to bind9 on debian Sarge from bind8 on
Debian woody.

I like the idea of running the 9 series of bind for security reasons and having the option
of views [once I get used to it].

There does seem to be a problem with my bind9 configuration and I'm not sure where to start
looking.  When I do a host lookup on the bind8 server for a host I have not already cached
the response comes back almost immediately but when I do it on a bind9 server it can take
several seconds most of the time.  Once I have looked a host up once it answers quickly for
subsequent queries.

Basically initial queries on bind9 seem very slow compared to the older bind8.  Any ideas as
to why this might be?  Both setups are fairly generic with the only changes to the configs
being the zones that they are authoritative for [same on each server].

Thanks in advance.

Jeff Wark
TBayTel Internet