AXFR resolution path

Jeffrey Stevens jeff1132 at charter.net
Sun Sep 25 17:27:48 UTC 2005

If I configure my DNS to be master for a fake test zone and attempt to use dig
to that server to transfer the zone, it times out.  I believe it is recursing to
the root servers to resolve the (internal intranet) MNAME in the SOA.

Ok, I thought I'll first have it resolve the MNAME (should get it from a
forwarder first, not a root) and then try the zone transfer.  This should avoid
the recursion to the roots, but does not, it just times out.  Did I understand
this correctly?
--
Jeffrey Stevens
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys D2E5A4E8