need default domain badly

Brandon brelliott at gmail.com
Tue Sep 27 04:27:25 UTC 2005

Correct, I was after auto hostname resolution so that a dns server for server1 would auto query for server1.domain.com upon failure to query server1.  Once again, I realize this is not recommended practice but it somehow worked before and when corporate had to be relocated in a hurry due to Rita we quickly found hostname resolution failing at our remote locations.  This will be an issue addressed when we can put corporate hq back together .. Which will be at least 1 month .. And here are some updates:

I worked around this issue by making every query append .domain.com .. This worked well although I had to kill internet access (or create dns entried manually).

We had our primary dns server flown up this morning and as soon as it was plugged in and thesecondary was shut down (the one I configed to get through all this) all was completely back to normal.  What's bad is that I can't find anything different in the configs.  I also connected our primary domain server this morning .. I don't know how wins may have affected this issue.

I'm still searching for the answer as to why this worked before (although it shouldn't have).

Thanks,

Brandon
We