cache.novell.com lame delegation ?

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Sep 28 22:40:10 UTC 2005

Lucio Jankok wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Is the below an example of a lame delegation?
>
>bash-2.05$ nslookup -type=ns cache.novell.com D.ns.footprint.net.
>Server:  endor.bsdserver.org
>Address:  192.168.1.5
>
>Non-authoritative answer:
>cache.novell.com        canonical name = cache.novell.com.c.footprint.net
>
>Authoritative answers can be found from:
>c.footprint.net
>        origin = a5299.sandpiper.net
>        mail addr = hostmaster.sandpiper.net
>        serial = 1700
>        refresh = 1800 (30M)
>        retry   = 900 (15M)
>        expire  = 2592000 (2592000)
>        minimum ttl = 300 (5M)
>bash-2.05$ nslookup c.footprint.net
>Server:  endor.bsdserver.org
>Address:  192.168.1.5
>
>*** No address (A) records available for c.footprint.net
>bash-2.05$

Nope. You asked for A records with the name c.footprint.net, and there
aren't any. If you had asked for NS records with the name
c.footprint.net, you would have been given several of them. To find any
lame delegations of the c.footprint.net zone, you'd need to query all of
those nameservers to see if any of them are responding
non-authoritatively. I can't seem to get a response from one of the
delegated nameservers (D.ns.footprint.net), but that could be just a
local or a transient problem.

Why would you expect a name like cache.novell.com to be a delegated zone
anyway? Looks like it's just an alias for some Content Delivery
provider's setup, a la Akamai...