Adding Address Records

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Thu Sep 29 04:50:15 UTC 2005

In article <dhe5p6$v4o$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
 Justin Churchey <jchurchey at mountdesales.net> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm a somewhat inexperienced bind user so I could be missing something
> very simple here.  I've added an Address record to my external zone
> data; we have both internal and external views.  However, after I've
> restarted the server the address record I just added does not resolve
> outside of our network.  Other hosts resolve outside of our network,
> like our web server, just not the one I've added.  Internal systems
> resolve fine.  Does it take time for these changes to distribute?  Can
> somebody point me in the right direction?

If you tried to look the record up shortly before you added it to your
server, the caching server you tried will have a "negative cache" entry
that indicates that the record doesn't exist.  You'll have to wait for
that cache entry to time out -- the timeout is specified in your zone's
SOA record MinTTL field.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA