Hello all

/dev/rob0 rob0 at gmx.co.uk
Fri Sep 30 05:14:28 UTC 2005

On Thursday 2005-September-29 23:24, Andrew Tarzwell wrote:
> I have just signed up to the list and am introducing myself.

Welcome, but please turn off that "rich text formatting" which will
render your substantive posts here nearly unreadable.

> I have just started using BIND and have attempted many times to set
> it up, for LAN use, with no avail.

For small time home use, you might find dnsmasq more suitable. Local
zone records are read from /etc/hosts and served via DNS. Anything else
is passed to some other caching resolver, such as your ISP's
nameserver. BIND is far more powerful and complex.

> I found this list while I was looking for a decent online tutorial.
> Does anyone have any recommendations for online tutorials that would
> guide a newbie. Even book suggestions would be appreciated.

_DNS_and_BIND_ is generally recommended as the definitive work. Older
revisions might be found online. I however think you might find the
BIND 9 ARM useful, except it does little to explain the basics of DNS.
You probably got that with your copy of BIND: look for "Bv9ARM.html".
    or "not-spam" is in Subject: header