bind-users Digest V7 #262

Dave Stewart dstewart at aquaflo.com
Fri Sep 30 17:48:05 UTC 2005

	delsp=yes;
	format=flowed
On Sep 29, 2005, at 5:13 PM, /dev/rob0 offered this:

> On Thursday 2005-September-29 16:41, Henry wrote:
>
>> Submitting a domain to dnsreport.com I get this:
>>
>> WARNING:
>>

> Warning, it says. This is not an error.
>

>> Your SOA serial number is: 1128029114. That is OK, but the
>>

> "That is OK," it goes on to say.
>

>> recommended format (per RFC1912 2.2) is YYYYMMDDnn, where 'nn' is the
>> revision. For example, if you are making the 3rd change on 02 May
>> 2000, you would use 2000050203. This number must be incremented every
>> time you make a DNS change.
>>

> There's the recommendation.
>

>> Your SOA serial appears to be the number of seconds since midnight 01
>> Jan 1970 when the last DNS change was made (tinydns format). That
>> works out to be Thu Sep 29 17:25:14 2005 GMT.
>>

> Almost 6 hours ago at this writing.
>

>> Could anyone pls tell me how to fix this? step by step? I've been
>>

> How could the example above be made more explicit? "YYYY" means a
> four-
> digit year. "MM" means a two-digit month. "DD" means a two-digit day.
>

>> told something about rollover but I just got blind trying to
>> understand how to fix it.
>>

> Rollover? Huh? This is about the formatting of the zone serial number.
> And it is only a recommendation. Is there some other, real, problem?

If I may be so bold, I'd like to point out to Henry that this change
isn't the problem that he's envisioning. Notice that if you take the
recommendation the serial number will *increase*. Slaves will see the
serial number increased and will commit a zone transfer, which will
update their serial numbers (along with any other changes in the zone
files).

The problem is trying to go the other way, where the serial number
*decreases*. That's a little trickier and I think that's what is
throwing Henry for a loop. But it's not an issue he will need to
address, since 2005093001 > 1128029114.

Note again Henry this is only a recommendation, not an identified
*problem*. If you change nothing you'll be fine. But if you just
can't stand any warnings at all (you're not alone), just adapt the
serial number format that's recommended in the master zone files and
everything will work as expected; you don't have to "rollover" anything.

> --
>     mail to this address is discarded unless "/dev/rob0"
>     or "not-spam" is in Subject: header

Dave Stewart
Aqua~Flo Supply (Goleta CA)
dstewart at aquaflo dot com

There are only two industries that refer to their customers as "users".
       -Edward Tufte