rollover?? Help pls!

Charles Cala charles_cala at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 30 20:44:08 UTC 2005

--- Henry <henry at interarea.net> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Submitting a domain to dnsreport.com I get this:
>
> WARNING: Your SOA serial number is: 1128029114. That is OK, but the
> recommended format (per RFC1912 2.2) is YYYYMMDDnn, where 'nn' is
> the
> revision. For example, if you are making the 3rd change on 02 May
> 2000, you
> would use 2000050203. This number must be incremented every time
> you make a
> DNS change.
>
> Your SOA serial appears to be the number of seconds since midnight
> 01 Jan
> 1970 when the last DNS change was made (tinydns format). That works
> out to
> be Thu Sep 29 17:25:14 2005 GMT.
>
> Could anyone pls tell me how to fix this? step by step? I've been
> told
> something about rollover but I just got blind trying to understand
> how to
> fix it.

http://www.google.com/search?hs=YYl&hl=en&lr=&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial_s&q=bind+serial+number+soa++32+bit&btnG=Search
top result
http://www.brandonhutchinson.com/resetting_bind_serial_number.html

your ser#  1128029114
stock #    2005093000
           YYYYMMDDnn

all you do is add the new # in the format YYYYMMDDnn
2005093000 is larger than 1128029114, so the slaves update.

if your ser # was 4294967200 it might be an issue.

your ser # is in "tinydns format" as per your info,
that works as well.

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&q=SOA+serial+change+reset&qt_s=Search
is a good place to start

google is your frend.
-charles

Curse the dark, or light a match. You decide, it's your dark.
Valdis.Kletnieks in NANOG