Hello all

Kurt Boyack kboyack at gmail.com
Fri Sep 30 21:47:21 UTC 2005

> > I found this list while I was looking for a decent online tutorial. Does
> > anyone have any recommendations for online tutorials that would guide a
> > newbie. Even book suggestions would be appreciated.

A search for "DNS & BIND" will not only find the book, but a lot of
other information about BIND.

> How about:
>
> http://cr.yp.to/djbdns.html
>
> on his site you will find all reasons why not to use bind
> and what will go wrong :)

I would steer clear of djbdns.

> Configuring bind is easy - as long as you make no errors.
>
> My error was this:
>
> $ORIGIN 20.168.192.in-addr.arpa.
>
> @      7200   IN     SOA   echnaton.serveftp.com. postmaster.peter-dambier.de. (
>                                 20050328   ; serial
>                                 1200       ; refresh after 20 min
>                                 480        ; retry after 6 min
>                                 36000      ; expire after 10 h
>                                 1800 )     ; minimum TTL 30 min
>
>         7200   IN     NS     echnaton.niflheim.
>
> 229    7200   IN     PTR    elch.n.
>

> Ok, echnaton.serveftp.com is my DNS.server.
> but what do I need postmaster.peter-dambier.de. for?
>
> As long as I tried to leave this away my bind never worked.
>
> postmaster.peter-dambier.de. reads as
> postmaster at peter-dambier.de.
>
> That is an email address. Bind wants to have it. Just in
> case anybody sees a bug and wants to contact you.
>
> In my lan that made no sense. So I left it out.
> That is why it did not work.
>
> I have read the book. Nevertheless it took me long to
> find out.

I read DNS & BIND many years ago. It says exactly what is required in
the SOA record. If you do it wrong, it will not work. If you can
follow instructions, it should not take too long to get BIND running.