Strang name resolution behavior
Dr. Harry Knitter
harry at knitter-edv-beratung.de
Wed Apr 19 05:08:54 UTC 2006
being new to this list I apologize if my question was already asked.
I have a server with SuSE 10.0 (with 9.2 I found the same problems).
Bind 9.3.1 is running and does its job well, when host or nslookup is used to
resolv a hostname (fqd or not) in the internel domain (mydomain.local)
forward and reverse and also for names outside.
Programs like ping don´t find any hosts if a FQDN is used. For:
ping -c2 hostname.mydomain.local
I always get:
unknown host hostname
Also (linux-)clients cannot resolv hostnames in the same way. The host command
works, ping and requests from KDE-Applications fail.
Windows clients seem to be able to get correct answers.
The described behavior I found only on one machine. I have several other
machines running under SuSE (several releases including the above) which run
Thanks for help
More information about the bind-users