Is an A record for the domain itself mandatory?

Me me at replyhereonly.com
Wed Apr 19 01:26:42 UTC 2006

Thanks for the quick response, Joseph. The MX records are still in place. I
can telnet to port 25 on their mail server and send email using manual SMTP
commands and the mail server's DNS name perfectly, while on my mail server.

Unfortunately they did not get the A record put back today and their DNS
admin won't be back until Friday so I can't find out anything regarding any
other changes.

We did find an MS article that says Exchange 5.5 caches the last 1,000 DNS
lookups regardless of TTL. Nice, huh? Reminds me of their ISA 2000
firewall/proxy server that cached all DNS lookups for eight hours regardless
of TTL or where Windows 2000 Pro cached all negative responses for fifteen
minutes. <sigh>

Ray

news:e21cnt$1nie$1 at sf1.isc.org...