loosing packets

Tom Schmitt TomSchmitt at gmx.de
Wed Apr 19 15:44:54 UTC 2006

Hi,

I'm running Bind 9.3.2 on Solaris10(Sparc) and have problem with loosing
packets.

Most times a DNS-request is answered properly, but sometimes you'll get a
timeout instead. I looked into the problem and found that I'm loosing
UDP-Packets (UDP-Buffer-Overflow). Looking at "kstat -p
ip:0:ip:udpInOverflows 10" showed me, that I'm loosing about one packet out
of 100.

Increasing the Buffersize from 2 MB to 4 MB didn't change anything.

Googeling for this problem brought the suspicion, that the load is too much
for the server so it cannot handle all the requests. So I tried to confirm
this suspicion: I did a load-test with queryperf and put ten times of the
normal load on the server, doing more than 100 thousend queries in about 25
seconds. But what did I see? There was no increase of packet-loss. Instead,
in this short period of time, there was not one single packet lost. So it
seems to me that this is not a simple load-problem.

My question is:
Does anyone know of another reason for the named loosing UDP-Packets than
too much load?

Thanks for any help,
Tom.

--
Analog-/ISDN-Nutzer sparen mit GMX SmartSurfer bis zu 70%!
Kostenlos downloaden: http://www.gmx.net/de/go/smartsurfer